Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bio Sketch

My name is Lane Murphy and I am 19 years old. I am currently a sophomore nursing student at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) in Durham, NH where I plan on graduating in May 2010. Along with a nursing degree, I am also planning to minor in nutrition. I am originally from Westborough, Massachusetts and graduated from Westborough High School in 2006. In high school I was a member of the field hockey, swimming and softball teams and was the editor for the yearbook my senior year.

Although I now call Durham “home” for most of the year, my family still resides in Westborough. Along with my parents, Meg and P.J., I have a twin brother, Kyle (who also attends UNH) and four younger sisters, Haley, Karly, Kasey and Margo. When people find out I have five siblings they are often shocked and look at me with a blank stare. However, I could never imagine growing up without a big family. My family has had a great impact on my life and I know they will continue to support me the rest of my life.

Growing up I always knew I wanted to be involved in the medical field. I applied to UNH undeclared in the College of Health & Human Services (HHS) because I was torn between nursing and nutrition. In order to help me make my decision, I had the opportunity to shadow a nurse and a nutritionist at Children’s Hospital in Boston. After this experience it was made clear to me that I had a stronger passion for nursing than nutrition. So, I made the decision to apply to the nursing program here at UNH at the end of my first semester of my freshman year. Knowing the nursing program at UNH is very competitive, I was thrilled to be accepted. It is therefore fitting to say that I am truly honored to be apart of the UNH nursing department and am excited to embark on this rewarding journey.