Friday, October 19, 2007

My Nursing Philosophy

I feel that nursing is not only a demanding profession, but a very rewarding profession. I believe that a nurse is a caring, devoted and loving individual who is able to form a special bond with a stranger. A nurse is someone who has passion and determination in helping others no matter their race, age, economic status or beliefs. A nurse also respects his/her own beliefs and opinions, clients, coworkers and job.

Nursing is also a combination of the art and the science. The science of nursing lies in knowledge, most likely obtained from education, clinical experience and past work experience or volunteering. The art of nursing is unique to each and every nurse, as it is an individual’s way of connecting with their client. I believe that the art of nursing is more important than the science of nursing. The art of nursing is where the nurse and client are able form a unique bond, something they will be able to look back on and smile. An example of this is when a nurse offers a hand for comfort. The nurse could have a soothing touch; one that the client will remember and reminds them that they aren’t alone. In order to be a successful nurse, one must incorporate the science aspect and the art.

A nurse must also be dedicated to the well-being of their client. Together, the nurse and client work on getting the client back to their best health possible. The nurse must realize he/she is responsible for someone else’s life and must create a plan for care. This plan should incorporate the nurse, the client and the family’s feelings. The nurse then must realize he/she is responsible for making the best choices for the client. In a perfect world the plan and actions that the nurse performs would completely cure the client. Unfortunately, in this day and age that isn’t always the case. When a client has become unable to make their own decisions, the nurse must rely on the information left by the client or respect the family’s wishes.

I believe that nurses make the world a better place. Without nurses there would be thousands of people suffering each and everyday. Nurses respond to tragic events like Hurricane Katrina from all over the world and unite. I believe that professional nurses are all connected no matter where they practice; we each have a calling to make the world a better place by helping and caring for others.

Lastly, my nursing philosophy is always a work in progress. As I begin my clinical rotation in January I expect to develop different feelings, opinions and beliefs towards the profession. I have no doubt in my mind that I will constantly be editing my nursing philosophy, but I know that doing so will only enhance my career.